Bison Coop History

The origin of the Bison Cooperative Association can be traced back to September 1905, two years before statehood, when Frank J. Havlik and Alois Trojan formed a partnership. Their business opened under the name of Bison Mercantile Company. During the early years the business sold groceries, dry goods, hardware, furniture, Heider tractors, binders, and a complete line of John Deere machinery. Maxwell and Studebaker cars were also sold at one time.

In 1920, the Bison Farmers Elevator was incorporated. Members then changed the name to the Bison Cooperative Association in 1963. The Bison elevators have storage capacity of 575,000 bushels of grain and can receive 32,000 bushels per hour. We are a founding member of Equity Marketing Alliance, a grain buying group established in 2002.
 
The Bison Coop retails dry and liquid fertilizers, anhydrous ammonia, crop protection chemicals, feed, seed, fuel, oil, grease, tires and tubes, fence posts and wire, and some general farm merchandise.
 
Regular Office Hours: 8:00am – 5:00pm Mon – Fri
                                8:00am – Noon on Sat
 
Harvest & Fertilizer Season: Hours Vary

Loading Hours: Same as Office Hours
 
Elevator Drive Height Restriction: 11’ 10”